I’ve been experimenting with all sorts of grains this week! Creamy Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese Millet Risotto. Guys, this is SOOO delicious! The best thing about it is that you don’t even have to go through the pain of peeling and roasting butternut squash! All the rich and creaminess of a bomb diggity cheese sauce without all the cream, butter and cheese. Because millet is a whole grain rich in fiber, you will feel more full and satisfied. Trust me, I love my rice but millet is always healthy gluten free alternative.
Outside of my day job I am a personal chef in my free time. I make this sauce for an butternut mac and cheese dish that I make for my client. It turns out that her son LOVED it too! Probably even more than regular mac and cheese! That just made my life. I love when kids love my food and more than ever just love when kids enjoy healthy options.
Soooooo….my point here was that I was determined to make another dish with this special sauce but the only real grain I had left in the house that day was millet. So it was from this that my butternut squash and goat cheese millet risotto was born.
- ½ cup dry millet
- 1 package frozen butternut squash puree
- 1 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs milk
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1 tsp oil
- ¼ onion
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- ¼ tsp thyme (fresh or dried)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- Prepare millet according to package instructions and defrost butternut squash puree.
- To prepare sauce combine oil and and butter in a pan on medium heat.
- Once butter melts, grate onion directly into pan with a hand grater.
- Add thyme and garlic powder.
- Add flour and stir completely to remove any lumps.
- Add milk, butternut squash and water.
- Once well combine, add salt and stir in the cheese.
- Combine millet with sauce and top with crumbled goat cheese.