Just BEET it! Savory caramelized onion and beet soup topped with sliced almonds and goat cheese! How sexy is this soup?! Totally datable 🙂 I will be the first to admit that I have not always been a beet fan. As a child I wouldn’t dare go near those “weird things” however several years later I have developed a great relationship with beets. I don’t know if it’s because they are pretty or tasty, but regardless they make my world a happier place. Goat cheese has totally changed the beet game and this fabulous soup combines both. It’s all the flavors of your traditional beet salad blended into a mouthwatering soup. Beets, onions, goat cheese, balsamic, oh my!
This is a soup that can totally be made vegan by omitting the goat cheese. I made it vegan for some coworkers when we were doing a group detox cleanse at work. I was a little nervous that people would be scared of a pink soup but to my surprise, it was a HUGE hit! Phew 🙂
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2.5 cups of beets, peeled and chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- Sauté onions in olive oil and balsamic until caramelized.
- Add in beets along with another few drizzles of olive oil and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add water, cover and cook until beets are soft.
- Once cooked, remove from heat and add in salt.
- Wait until soup has cooled and blend until smooth.
- Taste soup and add more salt if you desire.
- Top with goat cheese and almond slices.
- Serve warm or cold.