Sunburst tomatoes are my favorite! I never used to be a big tomato person until I made the discovery of these fabulous little gems last summer. The sweet and tangy flavor of burst tomatoes make them so easy to just pop in your mouth by the handful. You can buy them in the regular grocery store but they are extra juicy and delicious when you find them at your local farmers market. I had some gals over for dinner on Friday and one of my sweet friends brought me two packs of beautiful burst tomatoes from her farmers market. “I was going to get you a bowl or something but since you are moving I got you something you can cook instead”. How cute is she?!
She had been telling me how quick and easy it is to make a delicious sauce from burst tomatoes but I never got around to trying it…until today. WOW! Talk about easy peasy (and delish!). This sauce takes less than 10 minutes to make and you can have a whole meal on the table in 15 minutes! No joke…it’s so easy.
I used angel hair pasta because that’s what I had on hand plus it’s the fastest to cook (3 mins!) but you could use any variety of pasta you like. Check out the recipe for all the details but in summary you basically throw tomatoes in a pan with some olive oil, garlic, and pepper and wait for them to burst open and cook down to a sauce. There is really nothing much to it! Simple and delicious – that’s what weekends (and life) are made for.
- ½ lb angel hair pasta
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup basil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- fresh parmesan to taste
- pepper to taste
- Fill a large pot with water and place on the stove over high heat and let come to a boil.
- Add a pinch or two of salt.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Angel hair pasta does not need to cook very long so be not to over cook the pasta!
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbs of the oil in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and basil and cook.
- After 30 seconds, stir in the tomatoes, 2 tsp salt, and pepper to taste.
- Place a lid on the sauce pan and cook covered for about 10 mins.
- After 10 mins or so the tomatoes should be bursting open. Stir until they all burst open and form a sauce.
- Once sauce is complete, toss the pasta in with the tomatoes and stir.
- Sprinkle with extra torn basil and fresh parmesan before serving.