Kale, soy chorizo, portobello mushroom and rice salad. The brown rice, red rice and black barley make this bowl extra special. This ish is so good that you can eat it both warm or cold. Wait till you find out how easy it is to make!
I remember the first time I made this a few years ago as it was a totally a clean out the fridge out night. One of those stick your head in the fridge and see what random stuff you have hanging around because you are way to lazy to hit up the grocery store kind of nights. I had purchased vegan chorizo from Trader Joe’s earlier that week and had no clue what to do with it (clearly). Long story short I threw all my random ingredients (kale, mushrooms, “chorizo”, rice) in a pot, added some spices, cooked it until it looked edible, dumped it in my lunch container and threw it in the fridge. This was back in the day when my sister and I lived together and our brother was visiting. At that time neither of them would have ever gone near something with the word “kale” in it or let alone vegan chorizo. The next thing I know, half of my lunch was gone!
Brother: “WHAT is this???!! It’s SOOOO good!”
Me: big smile on my face and thinking “YES!” in my head
This dish might just turn hater into into a kale lover. As my sister always says “It’s the first thing that gave me hope for Kale”. The veggie chorizo is seasoned very well and so flavorful that it masks any bitterness that you may associate with kale. The rice I for this dish is the Rice Medley which you can also find at Trader Joes in the frozen section. It’s pre-cooked and only takes 3 mins to make – Talk about a time saver! It’s so much better than standard rice because it’s a medley of three grains (brown rice, red rice, black barley) which gives this dish a great texture. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do! #nomz
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1 package sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1 package Trader Joes Soy Chorizo
- 1 pouch Trader Joes Rice Medley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Prepare one pouch of rice according to instructions.
- Sauté soy chorizo until slightly crispy and remove from pan.
- Sauté kale and mushroom to your desired consistency. Try not to over cook your kale (I like mine to be a little crunchy).
- Add cooked rice, chorizo, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and salt if needed.
- Mix all cooked ingredients together well and remove from heat.
- Plate and serve as a power bowl or over lettuce and tortillas for some great tacos!